Tuesday 21 February 2012

February Glossybox review

I’ve heard so much about beauty boxes and Glossyboxes, that when I saw a code for a half price box last month I decided to give it a go. I thought I'd do a real step by step for anyone who hasn't had a beauty box before to show you exactly what you get!





PACKAGING 
Seeing this little beauty arrive made my day. For one thing, you can’t fault the packaging; even the exterior box is gorgeous.

I tentatively opened it up to reveal the pale pink box inside and nearly squealed with delight. Lifting it out, I opened the lid to see the black tissue paper inside containing the products sealed with a sticker and pink ribbon.  Inside this are the products themselves as well as a little card explaining each product, with it's value and a discount code (you're all welcome to mine, just comment if you'd like them!)




CONTENTS
Having seen everybody else’s Glossyboxes, I have to say I was expecting to see some bigger products inside. Previous contents have included the Eyeko Skinny Liner, Fab Gentle Body Wash, Orly Nail Lacquer, Leighton Denny Nail Polish, Dermalogica MultiVitamin Thermofoliant and Power Recovery Masque, L’Oreal Mythic Oil, Cargo Lip Gloss, Clarins Day and Night Creams, Weleda, Illamasqua, Ciate, Deborah Lippmann Razzle Dazzle nail polish, Nail Wraps and HD Brows.  Had I received any of those items in my box, I feel it would have made it worth it as each one would probably cover the cost of one box.




In my box I received: Duwop Venom Gloss in Buttercup (sample size), Dr Bronner Magic Liquid Soap Tea Tree (smallest full sized item available), Paul Mitchell Round Trip (sample size), BM Beauty Pure Mineral Eyeshadow in Dusty Road (sample size), and Como Shambhala Invigorate Body Lotion (sample size).

None of these are what I would call full sized items, which was an instant let down. At least a full sized luxury shower gel, for example, would be a welcome treat.   



Duwop
I was glad to see this as it is meant to be a great plumping lipgloss so I will be trying this out. The colour isn’t bad; at least it’s neutral although I would have preferred a pinky shade. The full sized item is 10.4ml and the one in the box is 5ml.



Dr Bronner
This is a bit of weird one! It says that it has 18 different uses and the packaging is very old fashioned, as if for a product in an apothecary 100 years ago. I don’t personally mind that, but if you read the bottle alone it’s really unclear! I had to go online to research its uses and you can use it as a shower gel, shampoo or face wash.  It also smells quite like something you’d rub on your chest if you were ill, which I don’t personally like. Not bad, but it seems a bit out of place in a beauty box and isn’t really a luxury beauty item, especially as the RRP on this is $2.99 or £1.99 here.



Paul Mitchell
This is more like it. I think I will actually try this the next time I feel brave enough to rock my natural curls! This liquid curl definer is meant to define and protect your curls when applied to damp hair.  The full sized 200ml of this is £12.95 and we got 25ml.



BM Beauty
I once had an eyeshadow like this from a set in Superdrug years ago. It was such a messy product to use that I eventually just threw it out, even though the product itself was really good. I can’t even bring myself to open this as I know this will do the exact same thing and ruin the carpet.  Don’t breathe too near to this guys! The full sized product is 2g, we got 1g.



Como Shambhala
Although this does seem like quite a luxury product, the smell reminds me too much of Vicks because of the Eucalyptus in it. It does go on smoothly, sink in quickly, and is a light consistency. The scent isn’t so strong after a while, but it’s not to my taste and a different scent would have been better. It is a useful size so good for handbags etc, but the top is screw off which can make it difficult to reach the contents at the end.  Full size is 300ml, we got 50ml.

OVERALL
Glossybox does a great job on packaging and general luxury feel of these boxes, as well as building up anticipation online through Twitter etc. It is a lovely thing to get through the door every month. If you don't mind spending the £12.95 every month as a treat to yourself, it is definitely worth getting. I understand that contents vary from month to month and some months will be better than others, I just feel I didn’t get the best month!

I was pretty disappointed with this particular box, mainly because it didn’t really have any full sized products, or nail polish, nail wraps, false eyelashes etc! Considering the value that previous boxes have offered, I didn’t feel that this lived up to them in terms of quality of products and size of products. I worked out the value of this box is £18.13, which considering that a previous box had a full sized HD Brows kit which retails at £19.99, that isn’t great.

If you'd like to take a look at the website for yourself or sign up, click here.

I do have a Carmine box coming soon so I’ll be sure to share my thoughts. 

2 comments:

  1. That sucks that you never got a good one :( I guess like you say it's just luck really. I have been very tempted to try glossy box out, I'm just not sure if I really use that many beauty products to make it worth it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Was quite disappointing! Especially now that I've seen that some people received Becca products. Can't believe how controversial this month's box bas been. Will let you know how I get on with Carmine. Just had a look at your blog, Barcelona looks amazing!

      Delete